Summer is finally upon us and there’s a new Spritz in town – the Sherry Spritz created by GBBO Finalist Sandro Farmhouse.
Sandro has teamed up with Croft Sherry to create the perfect summer drink using common kitchen ingredients.
A refreshing, long and delicious spritz, perfect for al fresco events this summer, comes with a twist: it’s sherry-based. No longer the preserve of older generations enjoying a tipple at Christmas, this often overlooked fortified wine is the special ingredient in the Croft Summer Spritz.
Sandro’s creation taps into the trend for longer, lighter-style drinks; pairing bright pineapple and citrus fruits with the crisp flavours of Croft Original, the zingy serve is finished with sparkling wine and soda for a delicate fizz.
It’s super easy to make. Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Makes: 4 Spitzers (1 pitcher)
Ingredients needed to make the Sherry Spritz:
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 200ml of Croft Original
- 2 tbsp of pineapple syrup
- 300ml sparkling wine
- 100ml soda water
- Large ice cubes
- Several sprigs of fresh mint
For the candied peel garnish:
- Orange peel
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Start by making the ‘candied peel’ to decorate the glass. Cut the orange into wedges and remove the peel. Thinly slice the peel and place in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and mix well. Put to one side.
- Cut the lemons into wedges.
- Add the citrus wedges to a cocktail shaker and press against the sides of the shaker to release the juices.
- Add the Croft Original, ice and pineapple syrup to the shaker and shake, shake, shake.
- Pour the infused Croft Original into a glass with ice and top it with the sparkling wine (or Prosecco, Cava, Champagne) nd soda water.
- Garnish with the candied orange peel and a sprig of fresh mint.
Talking about the collaboration with Croft to create The Sherry Spritiz, Sandro commented “This recipe aims to bring some sunshine to al fresco events – whatever the weather. The Spritz features bright, summery flavours and colours, as well as the mellow, crisp undertones of Croft Original. As well as looking impressive, I’ve made sure it’s so easy and quick to make. It has enough pizazz to make it special but with the simple and delicious ingredients, it’s the perfect drink for all al fresco events this summer.”
Croft Original is available at most major supermarkets, RRP. £13. You can buy it here!